23 October 2011

Do You Love Like God?

God's love displays itself through sacrifice of self.  Men and women greatly used of God are receivers and givers of this love.  Moses was a man God called to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt and into the Promised Land.  When they transgressed Moses said in Exodus 32:32, "Yet now, if You will forgive their sin--but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written."  If it would ensure the forgiveness of the people, Moses would take all the blame along with separation and damnation.  Paul was a man called and sent to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles.  His heart was so burdened concerning the Jew's rejection of Jesus Christ that he said in Romans 9:3:  "For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh..."  That is a heart of compassion and love, a love that only springs from Jesus Christ.

It is hard enough for me to imagine physically dying for someone:  how much greater a sacrifice to be eternally damned to hell for the sins of others!  Paul was so broken for unbelievers and enemies of Christ that he wished to be sent to hell - if that would mean their salvation.  He would give not only his body but his soul.  This has shown me my great lack.  I am convinced that if an opportunity was presented for me to risk my body to save another, even an enemy, God would give me the compassion, courage, and strength to do so.  But to give my eternal soul for anything I am hard-pressed.  It is not so much a question of ability but willingness.  The testimony of other believers is clear:  as a Christian, I ought to love with such fervency that I wish I would to be accursed and blotted out of God's book so others might be forgiven and saved.  But I confess that I have not yet gladly offered my soul for the lives of others.  Help me Jesus!

The Bible teaches that man will be judged according to his own sin.  God said to Moses in Exodus 32:33 "Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book."  Deuteronomy 24:16 states, "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall the children be put to death for their fathers; a person shall be put to death for his own sin."  But there is one unique time in history when grace, love, justice, and mercy collided in the death of a righteous man.  Jesus, who is called Christ, became a curse for us sinners.  He knew no sin but became sin for us (2 Cor. 5:21).  Galatians 3:13-14 explains it well:  "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree"), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."  Jesus laid His life down on the cross, and then took it up again three days later as the risen and glorified LORD of All.

It would have been futile for Moses or Paul to die to save others because they could not meet the righteous requirements of God's Law in life or death.  But God, who is rich in mercy, sent His Son to be the Saviour of the world, to seek and save the lost.  All who repent and trust in Christ will be washed pure from sin, and clothed with Christ's righteousness.  When I look at the love of Jesus, I see my love is lacking.  How costly is true love!  Yet God gives it without money or price.  It has more power to do good than nuclear bombs have to destroy.  May we continually grow in this love.

May the truth of Romans 5:1-10 be impressed continually upon my heart and made evident in my life through the Holy Spirit:  "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. 6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. 10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)