23 November 2012

Freedom and Citizenship

Yesterday I was thinking how blessed we are to have God's Word written in a language we can easily understand.  I most commonly read the King James and New King James versions, and my life is enriched by familiarity with both.  While reading recently I came across the passage in Acts when Paul was discussing his Roman citizenship with a Roman captain.  The NKJV rendering of Acts 22:28 is, "The commander answered, "With a large sum I obtained this citizenship." And Paul said, "But I was born a citizen."   When I read it in the KJV however, my eyes and understanding were further opened:  "And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born."  In the Strong's Concordance, the Greek word "politeia" is transliterated "citizenship" or "freedom" which means "citizenship; concretely a community, commonwealth, freedom."

When the Roman captain explained his citizenship as freedom, that grabbed by attention.  Being an alien in a foreign land, I appreciate the fact that being a citizen of Australia provides freedoms I do not yet enjoy.  I live in the Commonwealth, but I am not yet a beneficiary of the Commonwealth.  I am not permitted to work for wages, cannot receive free public schooling for my children, health insurance, vote, or take out a loan to purchase property.  Because I am not a citizen I cannot obtain an Australian passport, extend my driver's license beyond a single year, or change occupations without notifying immigration.  The captain divulged to Paul that he had paid a great sum of money to become a Roman citizen.  Paul replied that he was free born:  becoming a Roman citizen with the freedoms and benefits was his by virtue of birth alone.

How true this is when we consider it in spiritual terms!  My citizenship is in heaven because I have been born again through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I have been given this freedom by the grace of God and am part of God's commonwealth.  It is God's good pleasure to give to His people the kingdom!  No longer am I bound by sins and guilt.  Jesus affirms in John 8:36, "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed."  It will cost me a good chunk of change to become an Australian citizen, but God has granted all who repent and trust in Him citizenship in heaven at His expense.  We have been adopted as sons into His family and the benefits of royalty are ours.  This freedom is not without responsibility.  Many have sacrificed their lives for temporary earthly freedom:  how much more valuable is eternal freedom by the grace of God?

A famous American patriot once said, "Give me liberty or give me death."  In God's economy, we must die to self and die to sin to be truly free.  We enter into this freedom only through Christ's death and resurrection by faith.  Let's remember to thank God for the precious freedom we have through Jesus.  2 Corinthians 3:17-18 says, "Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."  If you have been born again through Christ, you are free indeed and a citizen of heaven!  Enter into to this freedom today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)