15 November 2012

Speak the Truth!

WARNING!  This post may contain spoilers concerning a jolly man with a beard clothed in red often associated with Christmas.

As far back as I can remember, Santa Claus has always been a fictitious character along with the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.  For the large majority of my childhood I was raised by Christian parents who valued honesty even when it came to traditions.  I remember even to this day a negative experience I had in kindergarten.  As Christmas drew near, I was discussing with a girl my age about whether Santa Claus was real or not.  The discussion escalated into an argument.  The little girl marched me right into the kitchen where both our mothers were conversing.  "Mommy, is Santa real?"  The eyes of the woman narrowed on me with a fierce look that unnerved me with its intensity.  Her words were even harder to understand.  "Of course, sweetie.  Santa is real."  I wonder if my jaw dropped in amazement as I looked to my mum for support.  Here is a grownup lying through her teeth!  How can this be?  Why would she lie?

My mum pulled me aside and explained something to this effect: "Honey, Santa Claus is like a game some parents play with their children.  It was fun for them as kids to believe in Santa and they want their kids to have fun too.  We know that Santa isn't real, but if you meet kids who believe in Santa don't argue with them.  It's a decision for their parents to make."  I can say with all honesty I didn't miss out on any fun in my childhood because my parents told me Santa wasn't real.  I was familiar with stories of St. Nick who was generous to give gifts perpetuated in various cultures in different ways.  Growing up, I saw Santa not so much as giving but a great thief, robbing Jesus of the attention He rightly deserves.  If Santa robs Christ of glory, he might as well be Satan.  The only thing I "missed out" on was having my parents lie to me, taking advantage of my childlike innocence and betraying my trust.  A parent who lies to their kids about Santa Claus might also be lying about God, Satan, angels, heaven or hell.  Had my parents lied to me, I would have taken it very hard when the truth finally came out.  Disillusionment would be a natural response.

"Well, it's not really a lie.  It's just a fun tradition we have."  Tradition or not, Christians are called to align their lives with scriptures.  There's nothing wrong with having traditions like setting up a tree, decorating the house, sharing special meals, or even singing songs or watching movies with Santa in them.  Some people do not regard Christmas day as a holiday at all because of the ancient pagan roots of the day since Christianised.  In general, today Christmas is hardly a religious holiday when it comes to the population of the world.  Romans 14:6 explains the freedom we have to express our worship of God:  "He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks."  It's not a sin to put out cookies for Santa and carrots for his reindeer.  But I say to you it is a sin to lie to your children, tradition or not.  Give presents "From Santa" with a wink and a grin if you want, but the risk of betraying the trust of a child should not be taken lightly.

Proverbs 12:22 reads, "Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, but those who deal truthfully are His delight."  No one enjoys being lied to, even if it means an extra present.  "Believing" a lie becomes a bribe that nets more presents.  I am convinced that any perceived benefit of deceiving children pales in comparison to the damage which comes from the Santa ruse.  If you doubt me, google "Is Santa real?"  There are even articles to help parents soften the blow when their kids ask.  What I read breaks my heart.  Please take seriously the things you teach your children.  If you want them to believe you, speak the truth in love!

Several typical examples of responses from the above article:
I believe in the spirits of Santa. He once lived and is still living in all of us. He died like 2000 years ago but he is always going to be real.
—Guest Mikayla
 
I'm eleven and I stopped believing when I was eight because I found my parents putting presents under the tree that said "from santa". And also the rapping paper on the presents from santa, I found the roll in the closet. On that night my heart was broken though that they had been lying to me about it for eight years, they still try to tell me he's real and I'm eleven. I'm still mad at them.
—Guest Fiona
 
I'm 12 and I still believe. I may have some problem, because most of my friends seem more mature, but I'm the type that would hang out with lil kids, so that kinda has an effect on me. Am I weird since I believe. Really sometimes I think that God is really Santa and magically makes presents appear under our tree. Because Dec. 25 is his son's birthday. Or maybe Santa is his helper...... Well I'm 12 and I believe.
—Guest Heather
 
My parents never told me he wasn't real but it's so obvious!!! I stopped believing at ten, and hated my parents secretly for awhile for lying.:(
—Guest Guest Amy
 
I never believed in Santa. My parents didn't ever pretend he was real. Christmastime was still delightful and magical. I never intended to tell my children that Santa was real, but I have an 8 year old step-daughter who lives with me and is starting to ask questions. Her dad has asked me not to 'ruin' it, so I'm stuck. I don't want to lie to her. I also don't want to traumatize her. I told her to talk to her Dad about it. I don't understand why people insist on telling kids Santa is real. Make-believe is wonderful, and the spirit of generosity is even better. Why do people feel that the magic of Christmas stems from a belief in some jolly old man, instead of the love and good cheer in our own hearts. I, for one, will be relieved when her dad finally tells her. I hope it doesn't break her heart though.
—Guest KT

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)