27 November 2012

The Heavenly Physician


The advance of the internet has made a big impact on medicine.  People are more apt to "self-diagnose" on the internet rather than making an appointment to see a professional physician.  When they finally do go to the doctor, they are already convinced they know exactly what condition they are suffering from, various treatment options, and even what kind of medicine would be best from the commercials they have seen on TV!  Faith in the experience, training, and skill of a doctor to diagnose and treat illness can erode to a point that the doctor can be viewed with contempt by internet sleuthing patients - someone who has the access to drugs and treatments people know they need and has the power to withhold them!  It must be a difficult situation to train for years in university to practice medicine only to have your word trumped by Wikipedia.

Even before the internet, this is a similar way that people can treat God.  We can look at our lives, decide what is wrong, and pray for God to deal with our perceived problems or symptoms in a particular way.  Man is convinced he knows best even when he knows nothing as he ought to know.  God is not simply a means to obtain the ends we desire.  Change my circumstances and alleviate my symptoms, right?  So often in my life when I have prayed for God to change my circumstances He has flatly said no.  His will is that the difficult circumstances of my life would work to change me.  We see our symptoms as the problem when God desires to deal with the root cause in our hearts and minds.  Like good parents, He will not pave our way to our destruction by placating our selfish flesh.  He has bigger, greater plans for us beyond our limited vision.

Oh, that we would be as quick to deal with our spiritual maladies as with debilitating physical illness!  The trouble is, it is far easier to recognise a sore throat and fever than the onset of spiritual depression.  When we are downcast, may we seek guidance in God's Word and prayer.  Psalm 42:5 reads, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance."  The healing of body, mind, and soul is found in Christ.  Instead of me telling God what my problems are, I should ask Him as I would a doctor I trust:  "What is wrong with me?  I'm willing to go through with the treatment to the end because I believe and trust you."  Doctors are unable to heal people, but can treat illness through wisdom obtained by God's grace which promotes healing.  God is the one who brings the healing!

May our opinions bow humbly before the righteous judgments of our loving Saviour.  He is the over and above all One!  Cry out to Him in faith, trusting in Him alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)