04 November 2014

Hearing God's Voice

God speaks to us in ways we may not expect.  When we think of God speaking, perhaps we think of dreams, visions, or perhaps an audible voice from heaven.  While God can certainly use any means to speak, a primary way which He speaks to us is through His Word, the Bible.  Closely connected with the scripture is the presence of the Holy Spirit who dwells inside every Christian.  Jesus says His sheep hear His voice, He knows His sheep, and we follow Him.  The Holy Spirit enables us to understand what Jesus says and apply it personally to our lives.  Instead of a booming, amplified voice from the sky, most often God speaks in His still, small voice.

God did not place the Holy Spirit in every believer for the sake of convenience.  Instead of spelling out the future to us or speaking with an audible voice to satisfy our fleshly curiosity, God has wisely linked faith with the ministry of the Holy Spirit.  Through Christ we have a firmer foundation than the fact we heard audible words or saw a heavenly vision.  God is speaking:  the question is, are we seeking Him and listening?  God speaks to us way more than we credit Him for.  Often we can know when God is speaking when it is something we do not expect.  While we value directives, much of what He says is corrective.  We ought to rejoice that God speaks to us, whether it is to call us, speak of future events, or correct us.  What joy is ours even when God speaks to correct us!

The other day I enjoyed a conversation while driving with a mate.  We both enjoyed the short, delightful discussion as we caught up with current events in our lives.  After we parted ways, immediately a thought popped into my mind - and it was completely unrelated to my current line of thinking.  "Your words in a part of that conversation were rude and unkind.  Pull this car over, apologise, and ask for forgiveness."  Thinking it over, I had to agree.  There had been no offense, but I knew I had offended God by my words.  I was trying to be funny, but God has shown me many times how humour can a masking agent which disguises sin's bitterness.  Because this impression placed upon my heart was fully in line with God's Word, pointed out my sin, bid me repent, confess my faults, and ask for forgiveness, I knew it was God speaking directly to my heart.  Through the Holy Spirit, the still, small voice of God speared my heart.  After I pulled over and sent a text message admitting my sin and asking for forgiveness, what joy filled my soul!  I rejoiced, for God had clearly spoken to me!

When God speaks to you, rejoice!  Whether His words are predictive, instructive, comforting, corrective, a rebuke, or thought provoking question, choose to delight in heeding and obeying His voice in faith.  Thank God that He is the God who sees and speaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)