25 March 2018

Wax and Hearts

After my car blew a head gasket, I recently purchased a replacement which is much newer.  I would occasionally give the old car a wash and vacuum, but there was little reason to spend much effort or time on detailing.  The paint at some point had been dusted with overspray, and I wasn't willing to invest the time or expense to have the old car professionally detailed.  What happened under the bonnet was more important to me to maintain with regular servicing, and this was done without fail.

To preserve the finish of the newer car, a investment of time and money to buy necessary supplies was required.  Maintenance is an expense, but to neglect a vehicle is far more costly in the end.  My experience with owning vehicles over the last twenty plus years is the older the vehicle or the longer I have owned it, the less attention I give to maintain the exterior.  Once the shine starts to wear off, I'm just not as interested to invest the elbow grease required to restore the lustre.  A well-maintained engine is the most critical part of a vehicle to invest in, as the purpose in owning a car is to transport me from here to there - not to look shiny.

As I buffed a thin layer of wax from the car today, I started thinking about how maintaining the exterior of my cars tends to start strong but can wane over time.  Then I considered how it is possible to do the same thing in our relationships with people and even with God.  Knowing I have clean, quality oil in the crankcase to move me from here to there is a good feeling, and it is also wonderful to know because of the Gospel I am heading for heaven.  But is it possible I can become lax with my relationship with God, that over time I can become less likely to invest time or energy to seek intimacy with God?  Could my spiritual health resemble a rusted out jalopy because all I care about is under the bonnet?  Sure it can.  All healthy relationships require work and personal investment, and this is also true concerning our relationship with God..

So what is the takeaway of these musings?  In a short amount of time a great deal of dust, bug guts, and grime collects on the finish of a car and these must be washed.  As we navigate through this life, there are all sorts of things which pollute our hearts and minds, sins which only God can cleanse when our hearts are exposed to Him in repentance.  Our impure thoughts and motives are hidden from men, but they are exposed before the Almighty, Living God.  We must be willing to approach God humbly and seek forgiveness, walking in obedience to God's Word.  The Pharisees looked like cherry red Ferraris but lacked an engine (all show no go); we should not be confident in our well-maintained motor but habitually park under trees where the flying foxes roost.  Sin sticks and must be confessed and forsaken.  An engine has no power to wash and wax a car, and our salvation does not guarantee advancement in our sanctification.  If we will be saved, God then holds us responsible to keep our lives free of sin.

Even when our lives are bogged in the mud or we've ignored the bugs and grime, God remains gracious to us.  At the same time God's goodness and mercy are no excuse for neglect.  Our lives are gifts from God and He is worthy to be served and praised with our whole hearts, holding back nothing He requires of us.  As long as Christ tarries may we be about His business, investing in the regular maintenance of our hearts and lives.  Forgiveness is free for us, but Jesus paid for it with His own blood.  If we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  Wax properly applied guards paint, and may we be vigilant in the power of the Holy Spirit to guard our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)