20 March 2018

The Personal God

No one enjoys painful trials and difficulties.  If we could do something to avoid them, we most certainly would - and in doing so would cut ourselves off from communion and fellowship with God only obtained in times of suffering.  The reality of God, His guidance, and comfort is personally and profoundly realised when we trust Him in trouble.

The first three verses of Psalm 23 reads, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."  David begins the psalm from a third person perspective.  In a few sentences he paints a peaceful scene with a shepherd and sheep who find all their needs bountifully met.  It is easy to imagine sheep contentedly grazing in green pastures and drinking from clear, still water.

It is usually poor writing form to switch perspectives, but David masterfully switched to second person in His view of God in Psalm 23:4-5:  "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over."  Writing in second person creates a more personal feel.  David went from referring to the LORD as "He" and "His" to "You" and "Your," and no wonder:  it is in the valley of the shadow of death and the presence of evil those who trust God draw closer to Him, and He draws closer to us.  In green pastures God was spoken of, but in tribulation God was addressed personally.

Praise the LORD He is a great God who spends time with every sheep of His fold personally!  In this world we will experience tribulation, and when death seems closest our living God (who is our Life) draws closer still.  How awesome is our God, who knows us and reveals Himself to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)