04 November 2018

Our Consuming Fire

The Bible has been a part of my life for as long as I remember.  Yesterday I recalled an occasion as a child when I was inspired by a passage in 1 Kings 18 to build a small altar of rocks in the back yard.  My actions were inspired by God's response to the prayer of Elijah atop Mount Carmel by causing fire to fall from heaven and consume the sacrifice.  I hoped to be amazed by divine fire igniting the dried pine needles I carefully perched on a pile of rocks.  Around the altar I had carved a trench I dutifully filled with water as Elijah had.  I prayed to the God of heaven, but alas, no fire fell.  And it was a good thing too.  God would not indulge a child with the equivalent of playing with matches.

Looking back on that day long ago under the big pine tree, it is instructive of common mistakes even adults can make when it comes to miraculous signs:  I was focused on the wrong things.  I wanted to see fire fall from heaven, but I didn't consider why God caused fire to fall and consume the sacrifice on Mount Carmel.  God caused fire to fall and consume the sacrifice for the purpose of revealing His reality, power, and superiority over the idols the people worshipped - not just to show Elijah was a genuine prophet or to amaze the people.  People enjoy seeing incredible, even miraculous things.  And there is something in us which enjoys the thought of harnessing such power to achieve our ends - even just to impress others.

Another thing I did not consider was God's desire for the people to re-establish the worship of God according to His prescribed order.  The people were divided in their allegiance between God and Ba'al.  Because of wicked King Ahab and his wife Jezebel the prophets of God had been hunted and slaughtered whilst the prophets of Ba'al numbered in the hundreds.  1 Kings 18:30 reads, "Then Elijah said to all the people, "Come near to me." So all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down."  Even as the altar had broken down, so the relationship with God had been broken through idolatry and neglect.  My thoughts weren't focused at all on the glory and worship of God but what I wanted done.  Calling down fire from heaven was about what God could do for me.  After the altar was restored 1 Kings 18:36 says, "And it came to pass, at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near and said, "LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant, and that I have done all these things at Your word."  Elijah drew near to God in prayer and affirmed all he did that day was for God's sake in obedience to God.

Though I tried to follow the example of Elijah, my model had one crucial omission:  the lack of a sacrifice!  I believe it was Leonard Ravenhill, a man revered for his praying who said, "Everyone wants my mantle, but no one wants my sackcloth and ashes."  The gist of this quote is suggests people desire to have influence with the almighty God, yet are unwilling to present themselves before God as a living sacrifice.  Isaac was willing to be bound and laid upon the altar by Abraham according to God's command, and God graciously supplied a ram as a substitute.  It is Jesus Christ who is the Lamb of God who was slain on Calvary as a sacrifice for sinners once for all and therefore put to death the need of sacrificing animals according to the divine Law.  God caused divine fire to fall in the person of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost who regenerates, fills all believers, and guides us into all truth.

If we desire to see fire to fall from heaven, we must be willing to be the living sacrifice upon whom it falls.  Paul exhorted believers in Romans 12:1-2, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."   Fire purges, purifies, and consumes; it heats and provides light in darkness.  May it be our lives would provide opportunity for God to restore people to Himself through our obedience so He might be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)