07 November 2018

With All Your Heart

Before I head off to buy groceries at the shops, I typically jot down a list of things to purchase.  Just because I write an item on the list, however, does not mean I always remember to buy it!  There are few things more frustrating than taking time to prepare and not following through by carefully checking off the list - and forgetting the ingredient which was a main reason why I headed to the shops in the first place!

The Bible is infinitely more important and useful than a checklist I write, yet in the Bible there is great divine wisdom we should be reminded of often.  One of my favourites is Proverbs 3:5-6:  "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."  I find this verse useful because it is very practical.  It is a command to trust God and not lean on my limited understanding.  It establishes the conditions upon which God will direct and guide me into all truth, when I trust and acknowledge Him in all my ways.  If I trust God halfheartedly I give place to the sin of unbelief, and should I acknowledge God in only some of my ways I will wander from His will.

Now here's the rub:  the Bible says no man can know perfectly his own heart because it is naturally wicked and deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9).  It is true those who receive the Gospel through faith are given a new heart, but we remain in a body of flesh prone to corruption and deception.  Even Paul, a man greatly led and empowered by the Spirit, did not have the flesh totally whipped into complete submission (Romans 7:24).  I am therefore incapable in the strength of my flesh to fulfil this most basic command.  To trust in the LORD with all my heart I need God's wisdom, strength, chastening, and grace.  I need the presence of the Holy Spirit within me who guides me into all truth.  I must acknowledge my inability to do what God commands to assume a humble posture and be willing to be led to address my unbelief, repent, and trust God instead.

I am very glad for the practical steps we can take to put off the works of the flesh, avoid temptation, and to put on the new man equipped with the armour of God.  But I cannot tick these things off a list and feel better about myself:  constant reliance upon God and acknowledgement of our need for Him is paramount to walk in obedience and faithfulness.  Introspection has merit but pitfalls as well, potentially making ourselves or our efforts the focus rather than God and His grace towards us.  Let us trust in the LORD with all our heart and in every way possible.  God does not just make up the difference we lack or only aid in areas of our hearts hidden from our sight, but by His grace will enable us to obey in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)