09 September 2019

Life to the Full

I am reading one of the books I received when attending the Calvary Global Network conference in Costa Mesa, California by John Bonner titled The Myth of Coincidence.  It didn't take long to reach halfway through the book, a compilation of details concerning life, call to ministry, and God's ways which are higher than ours.  His story of being called to move to and minister in a foreign nation in some ways resembles my own.

Pastor Bonner wrote in the preface, "If I were to die tonight, I would go home a completely satisfied man, having lived life to the fullest." (Bonner, John. The Myth of Coincidence. Calvary Chapel Hosanna! Publishing, 2019.)  Though John Bonner has been called to South America and I have been called to Australia, we share the same home because we are citizens of heaven through faith in Jesus Christ.  Because of what Jesus has accomplished by the Gospel after the death of the body we are going to the same heavenly home in the presence of God.  Having lived as foreigners on earth, it is the place Abraham looked for, the place where we finally belong.

I agree with Bonner's statement, especially the first part.  I would not die satisfied because of what I have experienced or accomplished on earth, but because of Who I am going home to.  When I look at the meager fruitfulness of my efforts which have gone largely unrealised by me, there is nothing to crow about.  For everything that has been accomplished there are 100 things yet to do, and 99% of what seems finished needs work before long.  There are worthy battles yet to be fought, minds to be persuaded, hearts to be changed, and souls to be won.  Clearing a small field of big rocks takes a lot of time and patient labour, and this is the work God has asked me to do:  to stick it out, keep going, keep trusting Him, and keep looking to Him.

When God calls me home, my work on earth will be finished.  He knows best and I trust Him.  I do not believe regret will have a place in my heart where I am going because I will be with my heavenly Father, my LORD and Saviour by grace.  I cannot better explain our purpose for carrying on until Jesus comes or calls us home in Ephesians 2:10:  "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."  We like the idea of Jesus preparing a home for us in the heavens, but before we experience that wonder we are given the privilege of entering into the works He was preparing for us before we were born or born again.  He is preparing me right now for more good works yet to do, and this excites me as much as heaven.  Jesus gives life to the full, now and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)