07 September 2019

Taking Grace For Granted

We never know what we take for granted until we lose it.  Over the weekend Sydney was buffeted with strong winds which downed power lines and caused almost 50,000 households to  be powerless.  Right in the middle of sermon preparation on my computer the power to our house went out.  My computer went from a useful machine to being an expensive paperweight or doorstop.  Since all our appliances, computers, and lights require electricity to run, we spent the afternoon sitting in the dark.

During prayer this morning I considered how we need God more than we rely upon Him.  Reliance is an intentional dependence.  Just like computers and refrigerators need electricity to perform their designed function, so we need the Holy Spirit of God to enable us to do God's will.  We need Him constantly but can forget that unless we are a branch connected to the Vine Jesus Christ in faith we can do nothing.  I need countless things which escape my mind at any time, like a heart which effectively pumps blood or oxygen in the air.  God is the One who designed the purpose and functions of individual parts of the body as well as fine-tuning earth's environment to support life.  So much of what God has done--even those who know and love God can take for granted.

I am glad God does not take any of His children for granted as humans can; we can take our parents for granted, but God supplied them by His grace anyway.  Reliance upon God and thankfulness for His gracious provision breaks the cycle of taking things for granted, the assumption that because we have something we are somehow entitled to it perpetually.  When I cracked bones in my wrist and wore a soft cast I was amazed how it impeded normal life:  eating, washing, opening doors, and countless other activities were impacted by one small injury.  God used the loss of electrical power for an afternoon to show me how much I rely upon electricity for daily living and how much more I need what God supplies by grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)