06 August 2020

The Word Who Speaks

Today an electrician and apprentice did some wiring for me.  I had met the duo previously months ago when they installed a few LED signs.  "I think we've met before," the apprentice said.  "I recognise your voice."  I have been told on several occasions I have a "distinct" voice, and I'm not sure what makes it so.  Apparently it is a primary distinguishing characteristic that is more memorable than a buzz-cut and questionable taste in apparel.

Interestingly Jesus compared Himself to a Good Shepherd whose sheep know His voice.  From a great distance sheep will respond to the call of their shepherd, and it is a great analogy of how those who know Jesus as LORD will sense His leading.  It may not be with audible voice we hear with our ears but a thought that comes to us which was not our own:  it does not align with our fleshly desires, nor is it a conclusion we arrived at by consideration.  It can be very brief but profound, is well-directed to speak to our hearts, agrees with scripture, and corrects with a loving tone.  Our response to the voice of our Saviour Jesus indicates He is our LORD and draws us into fellowship with Him as we meditate on God's Word.

Jesus said in John 10:11-18, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. 17 Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

Jesus was sent to the "lost sheep" of Israel, and He also called sheep "not of this fold" (Gentiles) that would hear His voice and respond.  We who were afar off have been invited to draw near by the grace of God, brought into the kingdom of God, and adopted by God as His beloved children.  Jesus called to those who were weary and heavy laden, to those who thirst, to all sinners, to whosoever will respond and receive forgiveness of sins by God's grace.  Isn't it wonderful that God who gave Himself for us continues to speak to us?  He has called us to Himself and also communes with us as friends.  When we speak to Him He hears our voice, and it brings delight to Him beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)