09 September 2009

The Cure for Disillusionment

There is always potential for disillusionment when following Jesus Christ.  When God places in the heart of a man the desire to serve others, it might become others that motivate him.  This is a prolific breeding ground for disillusionment.  One of my favorite sermons to listen to, "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" by Paris Reidhead, contains a personal example of how his mission field experience did not measure up to his expectations.

To summarize from the sermon, the preacher Paris Reidhead took a mission trip to Africa.  He had seen gruesome pictures of lepers and starving children, and heard how great the need for the Gospel was.  His heart was moved on an emotional level to go over to Africa to ease the suffering of the people.  When he arrived, however, he felt betrayed by the fact that the people knew the Gospel but loved their sin and wanted to stay in it!  Paris spoke of a time of private prayer when he practically accused God of misleading him to even go to Africa at all!  But the words of God spoke to His heart:  "I did not send you here for them.  I sent you here for Me!  Do I not deserve the reward of My suffering?"  He learned a valuable lesson the message struck home to my heart years ago:  we exist to serve and glorify God first and only.  When we begin to live a life to please men, the end will always be disillusionment.

There is a story in The Gospel of Mark where Jesus healed all the sick and delivered all the demon possessed in the town that were brought to Him.  The next morning before the sun rose, He spent time in private prayer.  The disciples found Him and Peter said, "All the people are looking for you."  The response of Jesus is amazing.  Mark 1:38 says, "But He said to them, "Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth."  Peter wanted to accommodate people, but Jesus wanted to seek and save souls that didn't even know to look for Him!  Many would have been content to be the celebrity of the town, but not Jesus.  He would not have His role reduced to that of a street performer who lived to astonish people or profit from them:  He came to save them.

If your service to Christ has made you disillusioned, hear a gentle word of exhortation:  you have likely started to focus on serving people rather than serving God!  You are trying to give out more than you have received.  A man can serve God by serving others, for man was created unto good works so people will glorify our God in heaven.  But if our focus becomes people, then we will be annoyed when they do not show adequate appreciation.  We will feel taken advantage of.  We will feel like they are not worthy of our time.  But if we serve God first and keep our eyes upon Him, we will joyfully serve others because we are doing it unto the LORD.  Isn't He worthy?  No one deserves the smallest benefit from the hand of God, not even the crumbs that fall from His table.  Thank the LORD that He is our Sustainer and the lifter of our head!

I love the fact that I am going to Australia for Jesus Christ.  I am not going because any person other than Him has asked me to go.  I am not going because I believe I possess something that believers there do not.  I am going simply because Jesus told me to.  Jesus is worthy to be praised in a time of plenty and a time of lack.  He is unchangeable and infinitely good.  Whether my health is poor or strong, regardless of the weather, financial security, or acceptance by man, God deserves the glory.  Jesus will always deserve the reward of His suffering:  redeemed souls of men made in the image of God.  Even if I lower my net for a catch and toil years without a soul, God is worthy.  If the catch is so great I must call others for assistance, God is worthy!  No one can be disillusioned by Jesus, for He is no illusion:  He is the divine Illumination, the Light of the World.  It's only through Him that I can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)