24 September 2009

Took a little walk in the forest...


This morning I took a little walk in the woods.  Less than a stone's throw south there is an expansive forest near the home where I am staying.  The sky was a clear blue, the temperature cool, and the sun bright.  I decided it was a perfect time to do a little exploring.  I stuck to the trail and walked for half an hour, taking in the sights and sounds of the thickly wooded area.

As I walked, the song of a bird prompted me to sing a worship song, perfectly hitting the first four notes of "I want to live...to live for your pleasure.  I want to run...to run for your fame.  I want to dwell...in your house forever:  to seek your face, as you call my name, to hear you say, "Well done!"  Creation itself worships God, glorifying Him in song and activity.

Much can be learned through the call of a bird and the hurried scramble of ants over rocks and leaves.  In the words of Solomon:  Proverbs 6:6-8 says, "Go to the ant, you sluggard!  Consider her ways and be wise, [7] which, having no captain, overseer or ruler, [8] provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest."  An ant is content to be accountable to God, needing no "foreman" ant to cajole, motivate, or convince of purpose and function as part of the colony.  How wonderful it would be for us to be like ants in this manner, fulfilling our function in the Body of Christ with joy, thanksgiving, and diligence.  We should be willing to receive wisdom from God's creation as we are still before Him.


As I continued my hike through the forest, I came across a termite mound standing about three feet tall.  I stood on a stump to take a better shot of the mound constructed of mud.  I love it when I see the weak instruments like insects God uses to make things that I cannot!  Without training or classes termites made this wonderful mound of mud that has weathered rain and fire, by the look of nearby trees.  A man cannot build a lasting structure without refined materials and adequate training.  Yet termites and ants can make vast homes because of the wisdom God has placed within them.

When I think about the labor that stands before the Church of Jesus Christ in Australia, it is a daunting task and I know not where to begin.  What can a man do in his own strength for God?  The work stands before me is an impossible task which I am completely incapable to begin or complete.  But praise be to God, that the Church is Christ's Body, and He is the Head!  All those who are born again have been placed in different roles in His Body that He might be glorified.  Like the Holy Spirit instructed the persecuted disciples brought before magistrates what they should say in that exact moment, I have no doubt I will know what to do when the time comes.

Jesus says in Matthew 6:27-33:  "Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? [28] So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; [29] and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. [30] Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? [31] Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' [32] For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. [33] But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Ants and termites do not worry, but work.  Birds do not fret about food, for God provides even for them of His abundance.  Visas, transportation, money, food, clothing, and rent do not stand in the way of God from fulfilling His will.  Let us decide not to allow anything to stand in the way of our obedience, and take heart in the promises of our Savior.  Instead of looking to the uncertainty of the world, rest in the One who does not change, whose Word is true, and whose mercy reaches from everlasting to everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)