18 September 2009

Preparing a Place

As the time of my departure draws near, it has been a blessing to hear of the preparations taking place.  Today I received an e-mail from Louis that the preparations of "my room" have been completed.  I sent over a copy of my itinerary and Louis will pick me up from the Brisbane airport.  Over the last couple weeks there have been discussions concerning renting a car or scooter to aid me in transportation.  He and his wife Sonja have prepared a room with a bed, a laptop with internet access, a printer, and even a mobile phone.  I am blown away by their generosity, thoughtfulness, and care.  But this moved me to appreciate my Savior even more.

I started thinking about Elisha.  Elisha was an Old Testament prophet who was greatly used by God.  As he passed through the city of Shunem, there was a God-fearing woman who often constrained him to eat at her house.  2 Kings 4:10 records a conversation with her husband:  "Please, let us make a small upper room on the wall; and let us put a bed for him there, and a table and a chair and a lampstand; so it will be, whenever he comes to us, he can turn in there."  Knowing that Elisha was traveling and could not provide for all his necessities, God put it in the heart of the Shunamite woman to build a furnished room for Elisha.  She wanted to provide a bed so he could sleep, a table and chair for eating, a lampstand for reading or writing.  She was blessed to bless the man of God.  Her outpouring of care was not lost on Elisha and he later asked her, "What is to be done for you?"

My brothers and sisters in AUS have been thoughtful in their care for me.  As the Shunamite considered and provided for Elisha's necessities with thought for his comfort, so a place is being provided for me in AUS.  But while I will be spending a short while in the Landman house, there is a place being prepared for me in heaven by my Savior, Jesus Christ the LORD, with whom I will dwell eternally.  If a fellow pilgrim walking this earth can abundantly supply my needs in a country foreign to me, how much more my Maker!

Abraham was called out of his city to the land which God would show him.  Abraham was a pilgrim on this earth, dwelling in tents because he was looking unto a heavenly city made by God.  Hebrews 11:16 says, "But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them."  Let this verse sink into your hearts:  because Abraham desired to be where God is, God is not ashamed to be called "the God of Abraham."  Does not this bring tears of joy to your eyes and intense longing to your heart?  If you seek God, He will not be ashamed to be called your God!

The Father has prepared a city for His people, and Jesus has gone to prepare a place in that city for all who follow Him in faith.  Jesus says in John 14:2-3: "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. [3] And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."  Who do we need more than Christ, and who knows our needs better than Christ!  Where we are going internet and mobile phones are unnecessary, beds and lamps will be useless.  The Light of the world will be our light, and the one who does not slumber nor sleep needs no bed.  How good it is to long for heaven!  We shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

When Elisha was provided a room he asked, "What is to be done for you?"  We should ask the same of God, for He has prepared a place for us!  A man can do nothing for God unless God does it through him.  We have already entered into the dwelling place of the Most High God through the blood of the Lamb as we enter boldly into His throne room of grace.  We are now the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Our inheritance in Christ is to be entered into now to the degree a mortal can. 1 Cor. 15:54-57 says, "So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."  [55] "O Death, where is your sting?  O Hades, where is your victory?"  [56] The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. [57] But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Let us enter into the abundant life found in Jesus Christ, laboring for Him.  There is no life to be found in cars, houses, mobile phones, or internet service.  Life is only found in Jesus Christ.  Have you tasted and seen that the LORD, He is good?  Oh, the wonder of His grace, that I am His and He is mine!  Let us serve Christ and others for the glory of God, for He has prepared a place for us.

1 comment:

  1. It is so exciting to see the hearts of these people, and know that even now you are in the midst of their prayers and preparations! When you get there, and ask them : "what may I do for you?", I pray they have God's reply on their lips that they may receive a blessing, and you can fulfill your ministry of service.

    What a wondrous God we serve!

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)