17 October 2017

My Good News

I find it exciting when someone I know has good news they want to share with me.  When I hear of a new job, buying a house, a proposal of marriage, or the birth of a child, those are all exciting times.  Seeing other people excited about most anything grabs my interest, and though what excites them may not directly affect me, I can be happy with them.

Now it is another story when someone says, "I have some good news for you."  Immediately I find myself on the defensive, wondering what product they will pitch or what they want from me.  Please, not another "pyramid scheme" that isn't one!  When I see someone excited about a book, product, diet, or deal, it is my prerogative to decide if it is good news for me or not.  Should a stranger tell me they have good news for me without even knowing me, their enthusiasm seems fake and their assertion presumptuous.  How could they possibly make such a claim?  I am not interested in your pamphlets, thank you.

As Christians, we have the Good News of Jesus Christ to share with the world.  If you were to weigh the Gospel against a job promotion, winning the lottery or a premiership, or receiving news you are going to be a parent or grandparent, there is really no comparison:  the Gospel outshines them all in eternal glory.  The Gospel and the love of God is forever, truly the greatest news imaginable.  This should thrill us!  Forget Disneyland for a weekend:  we are going to heaven forever!  The question is, are we as excited about heaven and being in the presence of God forever as we are about temporal things?  Well, not usually.

How good it is when we are genuinely excited about our salvation!  When we have good news to share our excitement draws the interest of others.  Instead of being mournful no one seems to care about the Gospel, shouldn't we openly express our excitement about our Good News - like we would any other news we are simply dying to share?  How many times have I been excited about a book and by the end of the conversation people said, "Man, that sounds amazing.  I think I'll check it out."  Whether they actually read it or not is another story, but excitement is infectious.  Would to God people I talk to will look into the Gospel for themselves!  I have realised I have made the mistake of pitching the Gospel as "good news for you" instead of simply gushing over it because it is my good news.

We have the freedom and the right to be excited, Christian!  We are going to heaven to be with our Saviour forever, and what an incredible privilege and honour it is to know Him today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)