18 October 2017

The Rock of the Divisions

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 18:2

After David fled from Saul, he was relentlessly pursued by the king and his mighty men.  David was convinced there was but a step between him and death, and so David hid in the wilderness.  There is a remarkable account in 1 Samuel 23 when David and his men were on one side of a mountain, and King Saul and his men were on the other side.  When it seemed certain David would be discovered, word was hastily brought to King Saul that the Philistines had invaded and he immediately called off the pursuit.  1 Samuel 23:28-29 reads in the KJV, "Wherefore Saul returned from pursuing after David, and went against the Philistines: therefore they called that place Selahammahlekoth. 29 And David went up from thence, and dwelt in strong holds at Engedi."

God was David's rock, his fortress, deliverer, strength, salvation, and stronghold.  The Strong's concordance defines Selahammahlekoth as, "rock of the divisions."  Hearkening to what Jesus said about the wise man building his house upon the rock, we might think the rock of salvation is limited to a foundation.  Yet in David's case, the rock or mountain protected David by dividing the two companies on either side, a barrier which made attack impossible.  This reminds me of how God makes a distinction between those loyal to Him and everyone else.  Jesus spoke concerning the Day of Judgment and how God will divide people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats:  those who love and fear Him will be preserved for eternal life, and those who hate Him will face eternal destruction.

It is a great comfort to know God protects His people today, even as He delivered David from Saul's schemes.  Satan prowls about like a lion seeking whom he may devour, but God is our Rock and Deliverer.  David went from Selahammahlekoth to Engedi, a beautiful oasis with many caves and strongholds.  It is a lovely picture of how God is able to protect and provide for the needs of His people; He was as the rock which divided David from Saul thus preserving him, and He was as the springs and strongholds of Engedi, supplying living water, protection, and solace from assault.

David concluded his song extolling the greatness of God.  Psalm 18:46-50 reads, "The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted. 47 It is God that avengeth me, and subdueth the people under me. 48 He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man. 49 Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name. 50 Great deliverance giveth he to his king; and sheweth mercy to his anointed, to David, and to his seed for evermore."  Let us praise and thank the LORD for His deliverance and mercy, and having been adopted into God's family through the Gospel we are partakers!

Waterfall in Engedi, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)