20 October 2017

When Wisdom Laughs

Wisdom is no good to us when unheeded.  In the book of Proverbs, Wisdom is personified as a woman calling aloud to all who will listen.  She raised her voice in the city gates and main thoroughfares, reproving the foolish and the scorner.  There is great grace in her boisterous approach, for she sought out and addressed people who were unlikely to listen.  It seems for the most part Wisdom's voice was ignored and scorned by those she warned and instructed.

Her response to their stubborn folly is revealed in Proverbs 1:24-31:  "Because I have called and you refused, I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded, 25 because you disdained all my counsel, and would have none of my rebuke, 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your terror comes, 27 when your terror comes like a storm, and your destruction comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. 28 "Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently, but they will not find me. 29 Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, 30 they would have none of my counsel and despised my every rebuke. 31 therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way, and be filled to the full with their own fancies."

As a farmer reaps what he sows, so those who do not fear God and follow their own ways will reap calamity, terror, destruction, distress, and anguish.  Even as the type of seed sown dictates what kind of crop is produced, our response to God's call, counsel, and rebuke has real consequences in our lives. Should we mock and laugh at the stern warnings of Wisdom, Wisdom will laugh when the trouble she warned them about comes upon us.  Those who despise Wisdom will find themselves without aid in trouble.  I am amazed how Jesus has become for Christians wisdom (1 Cor. 1:30-31) and it is His voice we are to heed.  If we hear and obey His words, we are compared to a wise man who builds his house upon the rock.  When the storm hits we will be secure and protected; we are the ones who can laugh at the storm because Wisdom prepared and preserves us.  When Wisdom laughs at you, that is no laughing matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)