07 January 2019

Aligned with Christ

This week I have started a little building project at church, framing a wall to create space for storage.  More than additional storage, this wall will allow us to centre the video display and better utilise the area up front.  Already the project has resulted in long days and countless trips to the local shops for materials and tools.  One of my purchases was a new spirit level.

For years - probably about 15 years or so - for building I have been using a 4' level given to me by my dad.  Some of the bubbles were obviously inaccurate, but a couple of them were still functional.  As I was framing, I struggled mightily to determine what bubble was the accurate one!  When held vertically, there are bubbles at the top and bottom which indicate if studs are plumb.  It was obviously time for a new level, and after checking my work I re-positioned several studs which were out of plumb because of my faulty level.

It was a guessing game with a single bubble as a guide, but two makes a huge difference.  This is an illustration of the importance of Christian fellowship and accountability.  In my opinion (which matters little) "accountability" is a word I seldom use because it is a bit of a broken buzzword and vague.  Like two bubbles are much more accurate than one alone, so Christians experiencing genuine fellowship help each other remain aligned with Jesus, the Vine in whom we are to abide.  A spirit level needs to be carefully calibrated, and Jesus is always righteous and His Word is always true.  He is the standard by whom we walk uprightly, and we can help one another to do what is right.

Our eyes are not a good guide for building, and our hearts, feelings, and even our own rationale is not sufficient to determine right from wrong.  Praise the LORD for the indwelling Holy Spirit who guides us into all truth and helps us to follow Jesus faithfully.  Is it we who need re-adjustment and re-alignment, and we can support one another in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)