18 January 2019

Our Need to Know

Since I was young, it was a practice in my household to pray together as a family before bed.  Many of our prayers, though extempore, tended to be very similar day to day.  After a while I could almost predict what others would pray!  So I made it a point to try to switch up the words I would say, even if the subject matter remained the same.

I have been impacted during my recent study of Ephesians by the things Paul prayed for the Ephesian believers.  Most of my prayers in my youth and in adulthood tended to deal with temporary subjects:  giving thanks, asking for help for a problem, or interceding on behalf of others.  The focus of Paul's prayer revealed a priority on spiritual blessings which are enduring and essential.  When Paul prayed for the Ephesians he did not pray the way I would if I knew people were being persecuted, under threat of violence, and in need of support.

This is a portion of what Paul prayed in  Ephesians 1:15-19:  "Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power..."

See the things Paul prayed for!  After giving thanks for the Ephesians, he asked God they would be given the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, having their understanding enlightened, that they would know what is the hope of his calling, the riches of His inheritance, and the exceeding greatness of His power towards believers.  When you pray for others, does this resemble your prayers for them at all?  For me not so much.  But God-willing my prayers shall continue to develop to reflect absolute faith in God's power and sovereignty, increased knowledge of God, and great value of enduring spiritual blessings given us through Christ.  There are things that are important we know, even as it is important for God to do.  Once we better know the things Paul prayed for, I believe it will change how and what we pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)