10 October 2012

Feeling Overwhelmed?

"Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer. 2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 3 For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. 4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah"
 Psalm 61:1-4

Ever had one of those days when you feel totally overwhelmed?  Today has been one of those days for me.  As my "To Do" list seems to grow exponentially, I cannot tick the boxes fast enough.  Tax questions, unresolved credit card charges, immigration papers, heart and sermon preparation, ministry administration, and countless other tasks scream to be recognised.  How do we move forward in vision when stuck in the slough and are barely able to breathe?  Things I have been meaning to do for months have remained undone, and there is no break on the horizon.  Sound familiar?  That's life.  Trouble is, this life of toil on earth can suck the life right out of us.

But all is not lost when Christ is our gain!  The psalmist cried out to God when he was overwhelmed, and God attends to the prayers of the humble in heart that diligently seek Him.  There is a Rock of Salvation for all, even from the stress of this life.  What I love is David's acknowledgement in verse 3:  God had been his shelter and tower in the past, and He would bring him through any difficult and treacherous season.  The proof that God would bring Him through is that God had brought him through.  What a consolation this is for those who are overwhelmed!  No matter how big and impossible obstacles may be, they are never bigger than God.  He is the One who attends to our prayers, leads, and shelters us.  He is indeed the lifter of our heads.

Now back to the grindstone!  The mundane, the daily grind is a touchstone for our faith.  When our faith is placed squarely in God we will endure because great is the LORD and worthy to be praised.  His mercies are new every morning, for great is His faithfulness.  "Que Sera, Sera" means "whatever will be, will be."  It is a resignation to our powerlessness.  Instead of that, may we who are in Christ look to the Great I Am.  He was, is, and will ever be for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)